Re: sh-utils: "su" patch for use with ntsec..

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 02:29:53PM -0500, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Ah -- but "su" is *supposed* to be part of the "sh-utils" package -- but
>it was ripped out because it doesn't (yet) work on cygwin.  I'd view
>this post as a "here's a patch for the sh-utils package".  Which,
>incidentally, DOES belong on the cygwin@cygwin.com list -- but not on
>the cygwin-apps@cygwin.com list (although confusion is possible, I
>suppose, since "sh-utils" IS a cygwin package).  The relevant description:

I'm perfectly aware of why su isn't included.  And, actually, it isn't
that simple.

>"for packaging discussing issues regarding applications that are
>distributed with the Cygwin DLL. ... This list is intended for
>discussing solutions. It is not for "bug reports" or "it would be nice"
>type of musings. Use the main cygwin mailing list for that."

Uh huh.  My words.  Consulted them before replying...

>So, patches from non-maintainers -- even for existing cygwin packages --
>belong on the main list, not cygwin apps.
>
>Having said that, it's up to the current maintainer of sh-utils to
>evaluate this contribution...

Which, coincidentially enough, would be me.

So, again, confine this discussion to cygwin@cygwin.com.  At least for
now.

If people report success with the patch and the patch looks ok, I'll
incorporate it into a new sh-utils.

I can't download the patch myself.  If I had been able to, I may have
been able to short circuit this discussion.

cgf