Re: OT: gdb, cygwin & WINE

On Fri, Jan 25, 2002 at 09:54:48PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
>Ok, call me sick. I've a reason (really).
>
>My goal: to be able to use gdb, hosted on linux | wine, debugging
>binaries potentially linked against cygwin1.dll running under WINE.
>
>Why? Speed. linux is sooo much faster, that I am much more efficient
>there, but my emulated win9x vpc is far to slow. Building on NT is just
>a pain - build, quit all tools, replace cygwin, start them up again,....

Hmm.  I have a makefile that just installs things on windows from linux.
It moves the DLL out of the way if there are running apps.

Then I switch to my windows box using either vnc or my Cybex SwitchView.
If necessary, I close all apps and restart them so that they are running
the new DLL.

I don't see a way around this no matter where you are going to be
installing the DLL.

>And the multiple-cygwin approach isn't that friendly (for me).
>
>Anyway, not being a gdb internal afficiondo, I thought I'd ask here,
>where there's a chance I won't get laughed at, before hitting the gdb
>lists :}.
>
>Specific questions:
>Can gdb hosted on linux, utilise the win32 debugging API or does it need
>to be a win32 hosted gdb to do that?

Corinna once ported an internal application, called libremote, which
might allow you to do something like this.  I don't know if it allowed
a linux gdb to debug a Windows app, though.

Corinna?

>If the latter, does anyone have experience with WINE's support for the
>win32 debugging api?

Does Wine even run Cygwin?  The last I remember someone was asking us
to make Cygwin changes to accomodate Wine.

cgf