Re: Environment var PATH broken in 1.3.9 - spaces NG

The path to MSVC is set in the registry (i.e. Control panel > system >
advanced > environment (or however you get there)). To be even more precise
tcsh inherits the environment from bash which inherits it from cmd.exe
which gets it from the registry somehow.

Sorry I didn't mention that.

If I execute 'tcsh -l' at a cmd.exe prompt the behavior is the same. (I
didn't know I could do that! I thought I needed bash to read /etc/profile
to get everything setup.)

I'm busy switching to bash anyway...

At 12:48 PM 1/24/2002 -0800, "Michael A Chase" <mchase@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>When I start either tcsh or bash from the MSDOS prompt with your MSVS
>directory in the path, $PATH is translated correctly.  Are you adding the
>directory to your path after tcsh has started?
>
>If you are adding the MSVS directory in .login or .cshrc, you need to be
>sure to quote properly or tcsh may be taking the spaces as separators.
>
>I don't actually have MSVS, so I can't confirm or deny the problem you are
>having with varying cases.  I have seen other messages that report problems
>with directory specifications that contain spaces.
>
>WinXP
>Cygwin: 1.3.9-1
>bash 2.05a-2
>tcsh 6.11.00-3
>--
>Mac :})
>** I normally forward private questions to the appropriate mail list. **
>Give a hobbit a fish and he eats fish for a day.
>Give a hobbit a ring and he eats fish for an age.

Richard Kandarian
http://www.lanl.gov/cgi-bin/fonelink.pl/085598

Any opinions stated in this message are mine and not expressed on behalf of
any other individual or entity unless explicitly noted otherwise. As for
the links at the very end, my opinion is that they are interesting.

UNIX is software. M$ Windows is hardware implemented in software.

When M$ says 'embrace and extend', what does that bring to mind?
A huge boa constrictor?

Save the world from M$ tyranny - embrace and extend LINUX before M$ does.

http://www.fourmilab.to/documents/top10.html
http://www.prospect.org/print/V11/16/ackerman-b.html
http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2000/12/fallows.htm