Re: Descriptor passing between process

Hi!

Thursday, 24 January, 2002 Corinna Vinschen cygwin@cygwin.com wrote:

CV> On Thu, Jan 24, 2002 at 04:14:20PM +0300, Egor Duda wrote:
>> CV> It's part of the API since 1.3.8-1.
>>
>> Hmm. What change are you referring to? I don't see anything like this
>> in the ChangeLog.

CV> 2002-01-19  Mark Bradshaw  <bradshaw@staff.crosswalk.com>

CV>         * cygwin.din: Add recvmsg and sendmsg.
CV>         * net.cc: Add cygwin_recvmsg and cygwin_sendmsg.
CV>         * /usr/include/sys/socket.h: Add recvmsg and sendmsg.

yes, but if i understand things correctly, Christophe was talking
about passing file descriptors between processes by means of AF_UNIX
sockets. btw, "Subject:" implies this :).

this is done on unices via msg_control (or msg_accrights) field in msg
structure. and unices ensure that the process which receives the
message using recvmsg can use the descriptor for all kinds of file
operations. in the case of cygwin, the receiver may get the value 3 in
message packet, but won't be able to use it in "read (3, buf, sizeof (buf))"