RE: Cygwin Autotool Wrappers

Could this not be switched over a environment var ?
What about the wrappers should print a line like this ...
$ aclocal | autoscan | ...
 "note: .... uses currently autoconf 2.5 compatibility mode. Set export XYZ=2.13 (or something else ) to switch to
2.13 compatibility" ...

and let the user choose which mode he like ?

> > I already have a release on file with Red Hat for contributions
> > to the cygwin.
>
> Not necessary in any case -- the wrappers are not part of cygwin itself.
>

> I've copied this message to the cygwin mailing list, in hopes of
> gathering some opinions...Note that Robert Collins has already mentioned
> the "autoscan" case (quoted here for completeness) -- but his response
> doesn't address the "configuing-outside-of-srcdir" problem you mention:

See above

> > There is a problem that isn't addressed: autoscan.
> >
> > Whatever heuristic is appropriate for autoscan should equally apply to
> > an empty directory.
> >
> > I can't think of an appropriate heuristic, but your message
> > "autoscan: Couldn't find configure.ac nor configure.in file
> > run /usr/auto*/bin/autoscan directly"
> > seems reasonable to me. (That is, that the user must explicity choose in
> > this case).
>
> I *really* don't know what the right answer is, here...perhaps (in empty
> directory)
>
>    aclocal --version: report DEVEL
>    automake --version: report DEVEL
>    autoconf --version: report DEVEL