Re: Adding NT domain users in cygwin?

On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 10:17:18AM +0100, Christian Jönsson wrote:
> What I did was this.
>
> mkpasswd -d | grep chj >> /etc/passwd
> mkgroup -d | grep chj >> /etc/group
>
> and then when I started the cygwin system I got into the chj account
> (with "homedir" //servus/chj, hmm, is this good, didn't we abandon //?)

No, we just abandonded //<driveletter>, not //<servername>.

> However, I get a failure like this:
>
> bash: LOGNAME: parameter null or not set
>
> chj@BOTTEN ~
> $
>
> That happens when I start the cygwin system.
>

> Now, a couple of questions.
>
> Is this the appropriate way of adding NT-domain users to the cygwin
> system?

Yes, but the latest mkpasswd has a convenient -u option now.

> What is this thing about LOGNAME? Can I do anything to correct it?

Search where it's used.  If you use it in your .profile, don't
do it.  It's only set when logging in through some sort of
user authentication (ssh, telnet, etc.)

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.