From: Elwood C. Downey [mailto:ecdowney@clearskyinstitute.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 12:13 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Cygwin and XEphem

Hello Chris,

I am still interested in using Cygwin to build the Windows edition of my
Astro program, XEphem. When I last approached Cygnus three years ago
they said this would cost me a one-time buy-out fee of $100,000 because
XEphem is not GPL. Nuts to that. But now I see that the Red Hat language
is not so strict. All it says now is:

   "The GPL requires the source to any application built with the Cygwin
libraries must be distributed with the application."

Now this I can live with. I have always made the source to XEphem
available for download at no charge. Does this mean I can finally use
Cygwin without buying the outlandish buy-out license??