libtool-devel and kde2

Hi Charles,

now I have made some tries with the new libtool devel-20010531-rc5. I have build an app using
a shared lib, which depends on another lib and the dependency code works well.
Congratulations for your good work.
I think I will note this on the kde-cygwin website.

While working with it, I noticed some problems. This may depend on a libtool and
autoconf/automake relation, which I don't know currently, but let me tell.

$ cygcheck -c | grep auto
autoconf            2.52-5
autoconf-devel      2.52-4
autoconf-stable     2.13-4
automake            1.5a-1
automake-devel      1.5-5
automake-stable     1.4p5-5

Environment
AUTO_DEVEL=/usr/autotool/stable

1.  configure tries to identify the cygwin environment and this fails in some case depending
on the initial setting of the CC=cc var.

$ ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... grep: conftest.out: No such file or directory
                                                ^^^ this depends on using cc instead of gcc
cc -E
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no

The only way to solve this problem seems to be exporting CC=gcc before configuring. Any ideas
?

2. I have problems configuring language specific support with libtool.Unfortunally the kde2
project is configured with the "Multiple Language Branch"-libtool which creates language
specific ltcf-c.sh and ltcf-cxx.sh files.

So using the AC_PROG_CXX in configure.in needs ltconfig for creating a valid configure, which
seems not be supported by your libtool. The kdelibs distribution contains such a file in the
admin dir, but because the relating ltcf-cxx.sh files does not know anything about the cygwin
patch, the cxx configuration does not created proper dll's. In other words, libtool tries to
start impgen and so one.

On http://fink.sourceforge.net/doc/porting/libtool.php I found some hints relating to this
topic and there is described, that libtool 1.4 does not support ltconfig.

With a test project I'm using the following workaround in configure.in.
CXX=g++
AC_SUBST(CXX)
to avoid some problems, but this is no solution for the kde2 port. So my question is, how do
I create valid cxx configurations ?

3. libtoolizing with --ltdl - problems to find the aux-dir (may be an autoconf problem)
I have made a test project with a libltdl subdir and an admin dir, which contains
administration file as used by kde. The problem is, that configuring the libltdl dir the
aux-dir was not found.

Additional I have to use the following lines to create a basic configuration for configuring
an installable
libltdl. Instead I expected - as I have read in the doc - the line "AC_LIBLTDL_INSTALLABLE"
should be enough.

enable_ltdl_install=yes
AC_LIBLTDL_INSTALLABLE

This causes the kde config to create a convencience not an installable libltdl.

The following commands are used to create the project, which is appended:

libtoolize -c -f --ltdl
cp /usr/autotool/devel/share/aclocal/libtool.m4 acinclude.m4
aclocal
automake -a -c --gnu -v
autoconf

$ configure
	creating Makefile
	configuring in libltdl
	running /bin/sh ./configure  --enable-ltdl-install --cache-file=.././config.cache --srcdir=.
	checking for Cygwin environment... (cached) yes
	checking for mingw32 environment... (cached) no
	checking how to run the C preprocessor... (cached) gcc -E
	configure: error: can not find install-sh or install.sh in . ./.. ./../..
	configure: error: ./configure failed for libltdl

Thanks for any hints.

Ralf