Need help Accessing a NAN

Under Linux I do:

  include <math.h>
  reciprocal=NAN;

When I try to compile this under cygwin, gcc complains that NAN is undefined.

Under cygwin, "man nan", tells me about a function named nan(), also using math.h.
When I try to use it, gcc complains about an implicit declaration of nan().

I am attaching relevant portions of the Makefile I am using to the end of this
message.

Help would be appreciated.

    Norman Shapiro
    798 Barron Avenue
    Palo Alto CA 94306-3109
    (650) 565-8215
    norm@dad.org

libDir=../Run
jdk=/cygdrive/c/jdk1.3.1_01/

all:									\
	$(libDir)/sine.dll           					\
	$(libDir)/regret.dll 						\
	$(libDir)/quad.dll           					\
	$(libDir)/arith.dll          					\
	$(libDir)/fast.dll          					\
	$(libDir)/slow.dll          					\

GDBFLAGS = -g -ggdb
CPPFLAGS= -m486  -Wall -Wpointer-arith  -pipe	 		       	\
	-I/usr/X11R6/include						\
	-g 								\
	-O								\
	-Wbad-function-cast                                             \
	-Wstrict-prototypes                                             \
	-Wmissing-prototypes                                            \
	-Wmissing-declarations                                          \
	-Werror                                                         \
	-D_ISOC9X_SOURCE        				        \
	-Wnested-externs                                                \
	-I $(jdk)/include	                                     	\
        -I $(jdk)/include/linux                               		\
	-I $(jdk)/include/genunix                                  	\
	-I /usr/include/g++-3						\
	 $(GDBFLAGS)                                 	                \

$(libDir)/%.dll: %.cpp Makefile
	gcc					\
	$(CPPFLAGS)				\
	-mno-cygwin				\