Re: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin

> Subject: RE: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin
> Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 17:20:42 -0800
> From: "Jon Leichter" <jon@symas.com>
> To: "Robert Collins" <robert.collins@itdomain.com.au>
> CC: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
>
> Ok. I need to return to asking some questions with my new understanding
> of --build, --host, and --target (which I'm incredibly grateful for and
> happy about).
>
> I have returned to working with OpenLDAP. The configure script is generated
> with autconf-2.13.1. It uses AC_CANONICAL_SYSTEM, which you say is
> deprecated. I assume, however, that it still works to some extent.
>
> I tried to configure with the following:
>
>         $ ./configure --build=i686-pc-cygwin --host=i686-pc-mingw32
>
> I've left --target off, since I know it will get the value of --host, which
> is what I want. It does.
>
> First, some questions:
>
> - What is correct: i386-pc-mingw32 or i686-pc-mingw32? If one is correct,
> why? If both are correct, how does one decide which one to use?
>
> - I notice that if I merely use --host=mingw32, config.guess will equate
> "mingw32" as "i386-unknown-mingw32". Why?

It comes from config.sub.  The config.guess is used to guess the system
but you've specified it so it's not executed.

> - Is there a plan to get "32" from "mingw32", i.e. "mingw"? Of course, that
> won't be useful with old projects that still need the "32" to be present...
> :(

No.  mingw32 will always be the target for Win32.  Look at the archives
for the mingw-users list.

> ===
>
> Now my results:
>
> - I never see configure look for i686-pc-mingw32-gcc. It merely picks up
> 'gcc'. Any ideas why?

Your configure script was created with an autoconf older than 2.50.
Prior versions check to see if the you cross building by trying to
execute a test program.  If it runs then it's not a cross build.
Version 2.50 changed that to compare the values of host and build.

You could modify the config.cache and change the value for the cross
variable from no to yes and reexecute the configure script to get it
corrected.

Earnie.