Re: Newbie Question (+ installation and security questions)

I'd hate to cause a war of words, however I've been using cygwin extensively
for a while now (even going to the extremes of manually compiling gcc 3.02,
rcs, apache on it, ok ok it wasn't that hard) and I've read the Faq and the
user documentation numerous times.

I'm sure there it is in there somewhere, but I don't recall any mention of
rxvt in the documentation (apart from it being a supplied package) and
because Cygwin supplied icons on my desktop I thought that was the way
everyone was using it.  I'm glad to know there's an alternative. (strangely
enough in the package-list info it says rxvt is a VT102 emulator for the
x-window system which kind of implies it can't be used under a non-X Windows
configuration).

I also had a few problems finding info to begin with - for example, It was
really difficult finding documentation on the inetutils package, mainly
because I didn't know that "inetutils" held the programs I wanted to use
(ftp daemon etc).  Maybe the documentation needs some expanded sections to
address stuff like networking and extended security. (ie. for tips like
"make sure you delete 'Everyone' from full access to all your drives/files
etc once you install Cygwin")

I have another question which isn't in the FAQ - is there any way to simply
select *all* the *latest* packages for download from the Cygwin Setup
utility?  Maybe I'm overlooking a button or something?

I'd also like to be able to turn off the automatic "cygdrive" or
network-drive (\\machine_name) auto-mounts - is it possible? I'd still like
to manually specify mount points for drives outside of the cygwin
"path-space" maybe via fstab in /etc. Any thoughts?

Seeing as the mail is big enough anyway, I'd like to mention that Cygwin is
a great project - it provides not only a cheaper alternative to using Visual
$tudio for development - it provides a *better* alternative.

Regards

Q-Games, Dylan Cuthbert.
http://www.q-games.com