RE: Copy and Paste into Console

Unix is a harsh mistress.  That said, you want to be sure to also check the FAQ
if you haven't already; it has a few entries on this particular issue.

> If I cannot find a .inputrc file, should I create one?

Yes.  It's not a tragedy if you don't have one though, things will just not work
as nice at the bash prompt for you.

> If so, where should I put it?

Your home directory.

> What entries would work to allow:

"man readline" will get you started.

> - paste into console from a right click;

Don't know if this is possible, and I can almost guarantee you if it is it won't
be anything in .inputrc that will do it.  The good news is that the middle
button does this already if you have it, and also see my .inputrc below.

> - paste into console from a ctrl+v combination;
> - copy from console from a left click (with text selected);
> - copy from console from a ctrl+c combination.

No need - once you lift the button, the selected text is copied to the
clipboard.  CTRL-C wouldn't be the wisest choice for copy anyway - it tends to
already be used to kill the running app ;-).

Here's what I have for my .inputrc, and it rarely steers me wrong:

# This file is read by the 'readline' library
# (the library which bash uses for its command-
# line editing facility)

# Make Home work
"\e[7~": beginning-of-line

# Make End work
"\e[8~": end-of-line

# Make Delete work
"\e[3~": delete-char

# Make insert actually useful
"\e[2~": paste-from-clipboard

# Ignore case for the command-line-completion
# functionality.
set completion-ignore-case On

Now this is about as minimal as it gets beyond nothing; you can like most things
Unixoid make things as convoluted as you want, and again the FAQ has some info
on some other good things to have in there which I don't have.

Hmmm... we've alredy got /etc/profile being generated by setup.  Maybe add an
.inputrc to that list?  Any thoughts?

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.