Re: bash/cmd CTRL-C problem...

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 12:16:04PM +1100, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

I was going back over this thread before checking in a change to see if
I'd missed something.

I just realized that I didn't address this concern.  Don't know if it
matters but...

The difference between the SIG_IGN way and the "return TRUE" way is
that the SIG_IGN way stops the current process from responding to
a cygwin signal but still lets it respond to a Windows "signal".  That
means that the code in ctrl_c_handle can do its job, if it has to.

If we always "return TRUE" in the exec case, then there will be some
situations where the SIGINT is not delivered to the rest of the process
group since the code in ctrl_c_handler would be short circuited.

My SIG_IGN "solution" is wrong, too, though.  The SIG_IGN would be
inherited by the exec'ed process.  Then the execed process would never
see a cygwin SIGINT signal.

So, I made a minor change to the signal handling code to ignore SIGINTs
when the program is a stub.

I also thought that I'd brilliantly worked around the potential
intialization signal race but after a night's sleep I realize that is
not the case.  Bleah.  I really don't want to use a mutex for such a
rare corner case.

Btw, if I fix this, I may well fix a problem with CTRL-C and fork() that
I've been noticing for years, too.  Or, at least I'll be able to convince
myself its fixed until the next time I see the problem.

cgf