Re: I need help on how to use the Cygwin fortran compiler. Thank s, Dr. McNeill

Robinow, David wrote:

 > Do you have a Cygwin icon on your desktop?
 >    If not, go to http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin and "Install Cygwin
now"
 >       You should install, at least, Base, Devel, and Shells packages.
 >
 > Click on the Cygwin icon.  This should bring up a bash shell.
 >
 > Are you familiar with unix?  If not, you should find a tutorial
somewhere.
 >    Although Cygwin is a great way for Windows users
 >    to access free software, it's really aimed at
 >    somewhat experienced unix/linux users who need to
 >    run on Windows.
 >
 > In your bash shell
 >    g77 -c fmain.f          will compile the fortran file fmain.f,
 >                            putting the object file in fmain.o
 >    g77 fmain.f -o fmain     will compile fmain.f and putting an
 >                             executable in fmain.exe
 >    g77 -c fsubr1.f
 >    g77 -c fsubr2.f
 >    g77 -c fsubr3.f
 >    g77 -c fcaller.f
 >    g77 fcaller.o fsubr1.o fsubr2.o fsubr3.o -o fprogram
 >                           will compile and link multiple source files.
 >    g77 -help gives more information.

If you should wish to use -pg, or the P4-specific code generation of
gcc-3.1, those procedures are not well documented, but David's advice
should give you a good start.  Use also 'info g77' and consider that
much relevant information in 'info gcc' is not duplicated under 'info g77.'