Re: what does it mean in csh

Hongxun,

To a first approximation, at least, it's this:

         read x

CSH's $< is a request to read a line from the current standard input
(subject to whatever redirection may be in effect, of course). In
conjunction with a "set" command, the value read becomes the value of the
named variable.

In BASH you can read multiple variables in one call. The input is parsed
respecting $IFS and if there are more parsed words in the input line than
there are variables named in the "read" command, then all the left over
words are assigned (with spaces reinserted between the parsed words) to the
last variable named in the read command.

Use BASH's built-in "help" command ("help read") for the gory details and
options.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA