RE: I need help on how to use the Cygwin fortran compiler. Thanks, Dr. McNeill

It's not quite clear what you are expecting.

There's a Fortran77 compiler frontend included in the Cygwin gcc
distribution. You have found the command.

The following suggestions assume that you have started a bash shell. If you
have installed Cygwin using the SETUP program, you should have a Cygwin icon
on your desktop. Click this icon to open a bash shell.

For documentation:

  man g77

or

  info g77

The g77.info may not be properly installed. If the last commands just
complains that g77 is not found:

  cd /usr/info
  install-info g77.info dir

There's no IDE (integrated development environment) included with Cygwin
(except the debugger, gdb). I believe some exist, but can't recommend any.
There's a GCC IDE at http://www.bloodshed.net/download.html, but I'm not
sure it is any good for Fortran.

You can also compile Fortran programs from within emacs.

Kind regards
Peter Ring