Re: cygwin console

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The problem is that we'll be switching the "I need a scrollbar!"s with
> the "Where is the output from <some random windows command>?".
>
> cygwin's pty emulation does not work with every windows application.  I
> don't think we should default to using rxvt for this reason.

I was not aware of this limitation.  Is this something we should be working on
or is it a known-lost-cause-due-to-Redmond-stupidity issue.

> It is so frighteningly trivial to change this that I don't really see a
> big deal here.  The basic problem is that people think that cygwin is a
> standard inscrutable windows app with no way to control their
> environment if it isn't an option in setup.exe.
>
> Maybe that's what needs to go into the FAQ:  "You have the power!"

Maybe Gerrit's idea of having a commented rxvt line in cygwin.bat could be
extended to comment the rxvt line itself as well.  This way, the FAQ could
simple say "If you don't like the (lame) DOS-box window, edit the
cygwin.bat file and uncomment the rxvt line for another kind of terminal
session."

> Or, maybe we should get rid of the GUI setup entirely and have people
> untar stuff themselves so that they realize what's going on. 1/2 :-)

Ha, ha, it is to laugh...

John

--
John Peacock