Re: cygwin console

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 11:45:53AM +0000, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>On Tuesday 8 Jan 02, Gerrit P. Haase writes:
>>  David,
>>
>> 2002-01-08 12:22:14, du schriebst:
>>
>> > It probably is worth adding something to the FAQ about this.
>>
>> I think `rxvt' should be the default shell for Cygwin after a
>> fresh setup.  At least for Win98 users.
>
>I fully agree, but who is going to do the work?

The problem is that we'll be switching the "I need a scrollbar!"s with
the "Where is the output from <some random windows command>?".

cygwin's pty emulation does not work with every windows application.  I
don't think we should default to using rxvt for this reason.

It is so frighteningly trivial to change this that I don't really see a
big deal here.  The basic problem is that people think that cygwin is a
standard inscrutable windows app with no way to control their
environment if it isn't an option in setup.exe.

Maybe that's what needs to go into the FAQ:  "You have the power!"

Or, maybe we should get rid of the GUI setup entirely and have people
untar stuff themselves so that they realize what's going on. 1/2 :-)

cgf