RE: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin

Some comments:

- In every configure script I've seen, the build and target variables
receive the value assigned to host if they're not explicitly specified. This
behavior is part of autoconf and not the script writer. Perhaps this is
changing in autoconf 2.50. I don't happen to know those details.

- Building MinGW binaries in a Cygwin environment is kind of like a
cross-compile, and kind of not. I heard enough people take both positions,
so it's seems to have become religious point of view.

- Your specification of CXX is correct if you're project is using C++. I
have not been using C++ in the projects that I built, so I left it out.
Also, since I've never built like that, I didn't think it'd be appropriate
for me to mention it as if I'd know it would work.

- Using CC="gcc -mno-cygwin" is good for compiling, but it's bad for GNU
Libtool, as I have mentioned. I use a wrapper script: CC=mgcc. What do you
think of this Earnie?

Jon