Re: announcements trapped by anti-viral filter

Well, I guess I'll post this to the cygwin list then.
I thought the whole point of a mailing list was to
have a place where people could get a problem solved
and others can search for the same problem later.
I knew of a way around a stupid corporate virus
filter.

So, I posted to the original list and CC'd the
poster. I thought it might be confusing to someone
searching the archives to find a message on
cygwin-apps with no reply.

> [...]
> no guarantee that the original poster is even
> subscribed to cygwin-apps.
>
> cgf
>
> On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:24:30PM -0800, Joshua
> Franklin wrote:
> >You might also try getting a free-mail account from
> >one of the ones that allow POPing--say, Yahoo! ;)
> >Subscribe that to cygwin-apps and add
> >pop.mail.yahoo.com to your email-fetching client.
> >(You have to set a preference in Yahoo! Mail's
> options
> >to allow pop access, FWIW.)
> >
> >> I thoroughly agree with you about filter quality.
> >> However, this is at
> >> Corporate firewall level, and admin will NOT be
> >> changing it, (so said the
> >> helpdesk). I would dearly love to be able to
> control
> >> my own inbound
> >> filtering, since I practice "safe hex", but
> that's
> >> not likely to be allowed
> >> soon. Sigh.
> >>
> >> Thanks for your to-the-point suggestions, but I
> >> can't use them right now.
> >>
> >> Isaac Stoddard
> >> Boeing Space & Communications, ISS GN&C
> Integration,
> >> Mail Code HM5-20, Tower II cube 5255
> >> voice: (281) 244-4246   fax: (281)244-
>

> ATTACHMENT part 3 message/rfc822
> Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 13:01:38 -0500
> From: "David A. Cobb" <superbiskit@home.com>
> To: cygwin-apps@cygwin.com
> Subject: Gary's Setup.exe v2.162
>
> Downloaded 01/04/02,
> Some uglinesses:
>
> CHOOSER:
> 	Click category=Base ('cause it's numerous), observe
> painting of text
> quits after about 8 lines.  White space is painted
> sufficient to fit the
> "missing" text.  Further digging reveals that
> painting text of the
> package names quits at y=~2/3 height, by the time I
> tried expanding
> Graphics it only painted 1 package.
> 	Click category=Doc, observe program "wants" to
> Uninstall libxml2 &
> libxslt.  After a few more games, selected
> "Experimental".  Now Doc
> category "wants" to keep xml2 & xslt but *uninstall*
> man & newlib-man.
> 	Select "Prev", observe the program now wants to
> uninstall anything for
> which it doesn't find a "prev".  IMHO "prev" should
> *skip* any package
> where it's not possible to back up.

> 	Same ugliness as above, painting of package names
> quits at y=2/3.
> 	Play with the vertical scroll.  Doing it slowly
> left me with *nothing* in
> the display area - once I scrolled the fractured
> text up off the display
> it doesn't come back.
> 	Play QUICKLY with the vertical scroll.  Fragments
> of text show up,
> unintelligable, at divers points in the list of
> packages.
> --
> David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access

:<http://wwwkeys.pgp.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=superbiskit>

Fingerprint=0x{E7C6_4EE2_6B75_5BA3_C52E__77FA_63C3_9366_DCFB_229B}

http://www.networksimplicity.com/whois/whois-4.5.15-1-src.tar.bz2

http://www.networksimplicity.com/whois/whois-4.5.15-1.tar.bz2