RE: Compiling apps to Mingw32 with cygwin

For the most part, I agree with you. Autoconf and Libtool should be fixed.
The motto of the groups seems to be: "patches gratefully accepted". Thus,
unless you, me, or someone else that uses Cygwin GCC for MinGW wants to make
these changes, I wouldn't count on them coming around any time soon.

One other point: AFAIK, the cross-compiling feature of autoconf,
i.e. --host, --build, --target, is not an automated feature. That is, it's
up to the configure.in script writer to use these switches appropriately. I
have ran many configure scripts in the Cygwin environment. I have just about
never seen a configure script use these switches correctly (where
"correctly" is based on the definition of these switches in the autoconf
documentation). Thus, for this issue, you can't look for a "fix" in
autoconf. It's about configure.in script writers doing the right thing.
This, of course, means that there must be a separate "fix" for each project
that is not doing the right thing.

Of course, if a script that you're using is coming out of a OpenSource
project, then again, one is free to supply patches...

Jon