problem with dlltool

Hi all,
I am trying to install gcc for windows to compile matlab mex files.
Igot the gnumex from http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/Imaging/gnumex20.html
after having installed it properly and having genearted the options
batch file, when I run mex from matlab I get the following error:

-----
mex -f e:/gnumex/mexopts.bat c:\matlabR12\extern\examples\mex\yprime.c
dlltool: Can't open def file: c:matlabR12externincludematlab.def
dlltool: Can't open def file: c:matlabR12externincludelibmatlbmx.def
gcc: _lib64471.lib: No such file or directory
gcc: _lib64472.lib: No such file or directory
dllwrap: gcc exited with status 1

  C:\MATLABR12\BIN\WIN32\MEX.PL: Error: Link of 'yprime.dll' failed.

------

It looks like the directory delimiter "\" is missing in the def file that
is sent to the dlltool because matlab.def and matlbmx.def do exist in the
c:matlabR12\extern\include directory..
I don't know which function calls dlltool ( tried looking for it in mex.pl
and mex.bat but to no avail).
Can some one please help me solve this problem.

I am using:
windows 2000
cygwin 1.3.6
matlab 6.0.0.88(R12)