Re: MIT Kfw SDK w/ Cygwin? Trying to build OpenSSH w/ GSS-API on Cygwin...

Danilio

There are other issues that can become problems when you are using
runtime environments from different vendors.  Both runtime is going to
try to simulate Unix style signal handling by installing Exception
Handlers.  When mixing debug and non-debug dlls on Windows this is not
a problem because the rest of the environment is the same.

This will not be true when mixing CygWin and MSVCRT.DLL.

- Jeff

> Nico,
>
> Mixing CRTs can work.  It depends on whether the code in question does not
> expose CRT APIs.  In general, krb5 tends to be pretty good about it...or at
> least, I have tried to clean up some of the problems in that area.  (On
> Windows, you might have a krb5 dll using the debug CRT while the app uses a
> non-debug CRT.)
>
> If the OpenSSH code is misusing the gssapi (i.e., using free directly
> instead of calling apropriate gssapi routines), then you'll have problems.
> Otherwise, I tend to think that you should generally be ok.  The KfW code
> will use MSVCRT while the OpenSSH code uses cygwin.  Since each is
> encapsulated in separate DLLs, they can call same-name CRT functions from
> different DLLs w/o any problems.  Again, the problem happens if MSVCRT
> allocated memory (opens a file, whatever) and cygwin tries to deallocate (or
> use the file handle opened by MSVCRT, etc).  That should not happen with
> well-designed APIs that do not use CRT abstractions in the API.
>
> - Danilio

 Jeffrey Altman * Sr.Software Designer      C-Kermit 8.0 available now!!!
 The Kermit Project @ Columbia University   includes Telnet, FTP and HTTP
 http://www.kermit-project.org/             secured with Kerberos, SRP, and
 kermit-support@columbia.edu                OpenSSL. Interfaces with OpenSSH