gcc problems

Hello all,
  I'm sorry if this has been solved before, but I can't see it on the
mailing list archives, so I'm guessing it's not.

  I'm having problems compiling anything written in C, but then again I
don't use any other languages, so I can't tell.

  I get a little error box with the title 'Error Starting Program', and the
text, "The COLLECT2.EXE file is linked to missing export
CYGWIN1.DLL:_ctype_.". In the Cygwin window itself, there is the error:

gcc: installation problem, cannot exec
'/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-cygwin/2.95.3-5/collect2..exe': Permission denied.

  I've reinstalled cygwin several times, the most recent being today. Every
simgle time the error message has been the same, IIRC.

  Thanks in advance,
--
Andrew Sidwell, takkaria on IRC