RE: from localhost: yes - from remote host: no

> I have setup a sshd as described her:
>     http://tech.erdelynet.com/cygwin-sshd.asp
> and "ssh localhost" works just fine.

I'm no expert, but I just set up SSHD from scratch and I looked at this
document and it looked kind of out of date. It should work just by running
ssh-host-config -y and ssh-user-config -y from what I remember. For example,
ssh-host-config installs the sshd service for you.

However, make sure your home dir in /etc/passwd is a local dir. Windows
shares seem to confuse it!

cheers

Geoff