Re: Cron jobs won't run with network drive

You might find something in the mailing list archives if you had an idea
about where to start. I found this tidbit because I already know what
the problem is- I searched for "cron system site:cygwin.com" at
google.com (this is also in the first five lines of the
/usr/doc/Cygwin/cron.README):

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2001/msg00077.html

"On NT/W2K run cron under SYSTEM account as service to use that feature.
Note that you don't have access to net shares in the child processes"

           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think the problem is with the SYSTEM account being used to start the
cron service. This is the default behavior for services, because the
system account has some special privileges need to run a service. You
can find these special rights in the
/usr/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-x.x.x-README. Maybe they are in the
cron.README as well, but then you already know them because you have
vigorously studied the cron readme to get it working already, right :-)

Basically, the SYSTEM account cannot access network drives. I don't
think there is any way for it to access any network drive at all ever.
So your choice is probably to create a new user that can access network
drives and has rights equivalent to SYSTEM (although I'm told that this
is *very* dangerous, YMMV).

HTH,
Peter

Your mouse has moved.