Re: New Install May Have a Bug

Roland Glenn McIntosh wrote:

 > Yes, i too noticed a few peculiarities, however i attributed them to
 >  a decision to change the default install of cygwin to a more
 > minimal approach.  Was this the case?
 >
 > I noticed that with the newer setup I have to specify that I want to
 >  install OpenSSH, less, and postgresql, possibly a few other things
 >  that used to be installed by "default"

Right -- because EVERYTHING was installed by default.

 > and which I took for
 > granted when running setup.exe on a new system.  Also - since
 > package moratorium is lifted, can cygipc be included, and marked as
 >  a dependency of postgresql (maybe once the RFC that was posed is
 > answered)?

No, cygipc was excluded for other reasons, not just because of the
moratorium.

To work correctly, IPC functionality should be integrated into the core
cgywin.  But, it is not possible to assign the copyright to Cygnus/Red
Hat because it was taken from the Linux kernel, originally, and is
covered by a multitude of different owners.  (Yes, it's GPL -- but CORE
cygwin components, stuff that goes inside cgywin1.dll, must ALSO be
wholly assigned to Red Hat in addition to the GPLness).

So, we'd have to track down all of those old Linux developers and
convince them to turn over ownership of that portion of code to Red Hat.
   Assuming we could find them all, I don't think they'd agree --
because that copyright assignment would also affect the current IPC code
in the LINUX kernel...

Therefore, the cygwin developers have chosen to redo IPC functionality
from scratch, and work is ongoing.  This isn't as bad an idea as you
might think: even Ludovic Lange, the guy who originally grabbed the
Linux IPC stuff out of the Linux kernel to create cygipc, agrees that
this is the way to go.  CygIPC supports a bare minimum of IPC -- just
enough so that Ludovic's original app worked -- and very little more.
If we start from scratch, we can do it better.

So, why not include cygipc as a non-integral package, like readline or
vim?  Simply expediency.  If we included it, we would lower the desire
of folks to help us with the "real" implementation.  Therefore, we chose
to exclude cygIPC in order to prod folks to help out with the real
cygwin IPC implementation.  (Although, cygIPC is not *disallowed* -- you
can still use it if you want, but you've got to get it from an external
site.  We're not nazis).

Search the cygwin-developers mailing list for "cygwin daemon".

--Chuck