Re: cygintl.dll missing

Robert Collins wrote:

>>Yeah, I'm surprised, too.  Vim requires gettext in
>>
> setup.hint/setup.ini
>
>>so clicking on vim should activate gettext as well.
>>

> It will. What is probably happening is that folk are clicking on gettext
> until it is selected, and then clicking on vim, which means that they
> have selected the prev gettext version.

Well, the *real* problem here is that gettext-0.10.38-2's cygintl.dll
exports some symbols that gettext-0.10.35p1-2's cygintl.dll does not.
Therefore, 38's dll is backward compatibile with apps that use 35p1-2's
DLL, but 35p1-2 is not *forward* compatible.

I don't know how to solve this problem.  The libtool versioning scheme
-- as mapped to the windows dll structure -- implies that the version
number should NOT change when symbols are ADDED to the interface, right?
  In classic libtool versioning, let's say 35p1-2 is version 2:3:1.
According to http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/texinfodoc/libtool_6.html, when we
add to the interface, we should increment c and a, but set r to 0.
Therefore, 38's revision number is 3:0:2 (I'm ignoring the -36 and -37
releases).

However, under the windows versioning scheme, the DLL name is
"cygfoo-$(c - a).dll"  -- that is, the version number indicates the
earlist interface supported by the DLL:

35p1-2:  cygintl-$(2 - 1).dll == cygintl-1.dll
38:      cygintl-$(3 - 2).dll -- cygintl-1.dll

---> no versioning change (since cygintl was originally released without
versioning info, I'm not going to uselessly add versioning information
until there is a CHANGE in that info.  So, right now, 35p1-2 AND 38
still contain merely "cygintl.dll"

In most cases, these two dll's are interchangeable -- UNLESS one
actually USES the added interfaces.  Like bind_text_whatever.  This is a
problem that really just can't be solved on the windows platform --
unless you want to revision EVERY release of a DLL differntly ( e.g.
don't use the $(c - a) thing, but use $(c)-$(r)-$(a) instead.)  But
then, given the limitations of the windows runtime loader, you'd really
be better off not doing DLL's at all and just linking everything
statically. :-P

So, to repeat: this illustrates a problem with gettext (more globally,
with dll versioning on windows) but I don't know how to solve it.
Except "update your gettext package". Sigh.

--Chuck