Re: What does setup.exe do with a DOS console?

At 11/09/2001  03:27 PM, GregHolmes@aol.com wrote:

>This is NOT the usual "change the PIF file, stupid" question.  The
>shortcuts I use to _run_ Cygwin are set to suggest MSDOS mode as
>necessary.  This happens only during the setup.exe process.
>
>When I run setup.exe from the link at cygwin.com, right before the end of
>the installation it very rapidly pops up an msdos console which vanishes
>immediately, then the final OK dialog appears.
>
>This happens, at any rate, on the Win95 machine I use at work.  On the
>Win98 machine at home, I get the "This program uses MSDOS mode" prompt at
>that point, which I of course cancel out of.  So am I missing out on
>something that is supposed to happen at this point?  I still get the final
>"Installation complete" OK dialog.
>
>-Greg H.

This is just a guess but I when I installed from scratch (NT 4 SP6a) and
included OpenSSH, a DOS window popped up and ran the "mkpasswd -l" and
"mkgroup -l" commands.  This was run from a batch file and was saved as
"\cygwin\etc\postinstall\passwd-grp.bat.done".

If you installed OpenSSH, check your /etc directory and see if you have a
passwd file.

Like I said, just a guess - I'm very new to cygwin myself.

rotaiv.