Re: A bug (?) in the current setup.exe 2.78.2.15

Robert Collins wrote:
> Does this imply that the older file is explicitly marked as TEST
> somewhere?

I'm not sure if it has to do totally with TEST, and I think you could get the
same problem with CURR VS TEST or CURR VS PREV.  I believe it is simply a
matter of the first available hole and we plug in a higher version number - but
I haven't look at the most recent code but I have played with it in the past.

> As for that algo, yes it sounds buggy to me. I think the solution should
> be that if a package has no explicit trust (we have to guess at
> prev/curr/test) and it's greater than the version in TEST and its a
> locally scanned file, we just ignore it. That or replace the current
> TEST item with the new greater versioned one.

I always wanted to modify the logic in the scan_downloaded files such that it
reorganized the files in the structure (prev,current,test) based on the version
numbers - sort of ignoring what setup.ini had for prev, curr, and test.  Bear
in mind here - I am only referring to when you install from local directory not
the install from internet or download from internet options.

When you install from the internet or download from the internet - there is no
reason to be adding files from the hard disk to the structure.  Installing from
the internet should be based on setup.ini and download from the internet (in my
opinion) should be based on what is available according to setup.ini and does
not exist on my hard drive already and then also give you the option of
redownloading from the internet the files that exist on your hard drive that
setup knows about.