From: egor duda [mailto:deo@logos-m.ru]
Sent: Thursday, November 01, 2001 3:32 AM
To: Christopher Faylor
Subject: Re: Anyone using cygwin=title ?

Hi!

Wednesday, 31 October, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:

CF> On Wed, Oct 31, 2001 at 10:09:19AM +0300, egor duda wrote:
>>Wednesday, 31 October, 2001 Stephan Mueller smueller@microsoft.com
>>wrote:
>>SM> Um, maybe I haven't played enough, but I don't believe that the
>>SM> title kludge can be implemented using the escape sequences.  For
>>SM> one thing, the prompt string is just a prompt string, and hence
>>SM> gets printed before you type anything, and not reprinted until the

>>SM> current command finishes. So, during the execution of a command,
>>SM> the title cannot be made to reflect the running command name,
>>SM> which is what it appears the title-kludge-in-CYGWIN-variable does.
>>
>>i had a patch which adds xterm-like title escape sequences to cygwin
>>console. i'll try to rework it to match current cvs tree and will post

>>it asap.

CF> Huh?  I added this some time ago.  Am I missing something?

oh, you're right. my memory certainly needs better ECC :). i meant patch
to terminfo so that applications can make use of this feature, and i
forgot that i submitted it in july, and Charles Wilson have already
released update version. Sorry for the confusion.

Answering to Stephan, i think that kludge in CYGWIN variable is useful
only when applications themselves cannot set title (and most
applications are supposed to use terminfo for that). Having this
functionality in "kernel" is unique cygwin feature, i guess. i've heard
of no other unix that doing anything similar. changing title is a job
for application, not kernel.