Problem calling a cygwin-built-DLL from a MSVC-built-app

I'm trying to call a cygwin-built DLL from a MSVC-6.0-built app.

First question, Is this even possible?  Mumit Khan's dllhelper page has some
example DLLs that are supposed to be callable from an excel spreadsheet...
which seems to imply that what I'm trying to do has been done before.
However, I haven't even been able to get the excel examples to work.  I have
downloaded the dllhelpers (both 2.2.5 and 2.2.9), and the examples work fine
for a cywin app calling a cygwin DLL or a vc6 app calling a vc6 DLL, but no
luck on trying to mix.

I've found quite a mess of stuff on building cygwin and mingw DLLs from
Google, but nothing so far seems to work.  I have noticed that things seem
to have changed considerably when dllwrap was introduced.

Can anybody point to examples and/or docs for recent versions of the tools?
I'm now thinking (grasping) I might just be having versioning problems,
where I'm trying to use techniques that only worked with older versions of
gcc, dlltool, dllwrap, etc (?).

I'm using:
Cygwin 1.3.3 (see below) with
binutils-20010914-2
gcc-2.95.3-5

Thanks in advance,
Mark Mims
mmims@aegistg.com

------8<----------

  701k 2001/09/13 d:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll - os=4.0 img=1.0 sys=4.0
                  "cygwin1.dll" v0.0 ts=2001/9/12 22:54
    Cygwin DLL version info:
        dll major: 1003
        dll minor: 3
        dll epoch: 19
        dll bad signal mask: 19005
        dll old termios: 5
        dll malloc env: 28
        api major: 0
        api minor: 46
        shared data: 3
        dll identifier: cygwin1
        mount registry: 2
        cygnus registry name: Cygnus Solutions
        cygwin registry name: Cygwin
        program options name: Program Options
        cygwin mount registry name: mounts v2
        cygdrive flags: cygdrive flags
        cygdrive prefix: cygdrive prefix
        cygdrive default prefix:
        build date: Wed Sep 12 23:54:31 EDT 2001
        shared id: cygwin1S3