Re: Perl 5.7.2

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 10:31:28AM -0400, John Peacock wrote:
> >There are two issues:
> >
> >1) CygWin 1.3.3 breaks gdb under Win2K (cannot set breakpoints);
>
> No, it doesn't.  You may have problems using gdb for some reason but I
> use gdb on a daily basis on W2K with no problems.
>
> As always, I can't fix what I can't debug.  This, of course, means
> that the debugging is left to people who have the problem.
>
> Said people seem to be incapable of doing more than complaining about
> the problem and posting stack traces, however.  So, as always, this bug
> will go unfixed because everyone who experiences the problem is "too
> busy", "too disgusted", "too apathetic", or "too unknowledgeable" to fix
> the problem.
>
> cgf

My initial response to this message is "FUCK YOU" but I'm sure this
would be perceived as overly hostile, which is of course _your_
problem.

I am too busy working on patches to Perl to make it ready to ship 5.8
to debug CygWin.  I like CygWin; I use CygWin every day; nonetheless,
it is a minor platform in the Perl universe.  I have even seen a note
from a developer imploring others to NOT port his software to Win32
platform , EVEN UNDER CYGWIN, because the platform is so limited.  I
am stuck with Win2K/NT as a corporate limitation so I guess I am stuck
with CygWin.

What I posted was not "It doesn't work for me" but was EVERYTHING I
COULD THINK OF that might help someone HELP ME.  I searched the
archives and found several other people foolish enough to post and
the deafening silence from anyone who might know what was going on.
My posting has exactly 1 followup, and that was from me.

I am so happy that gdb debugging works for you using 1.3.3-2 or are
you using a snapshot or CVS copy?  You don't say, presumably because
you are TOO FUCKING IMPORTANT to talk to the plebes.  It does not work
for me and only replacing 1.3.3 with 1.3.2 fixes it.  Therefore, I
think I am on pretty safe ground saying that 1.3.3-2 breaks gdb
debugging for Perl.  That is a qualified statement, since you don't
seem to recognize that I'll repeat it:

	1.3.3-2 breaks gdb debugging with Perl

Don't tell me you cannot fix it until you can see the error, when you
have not shown any interest in recreating my environment, as specified
exactly in my earlier post.

Needless to say, followups to /dev/null, since I will be unsubscribing
from this list immediately after posting.  Thanks for listening.

John

--
John Peacock
Rowman & Littlefield Publishing Group