Re: DLL Win 2000

Danny Smith wrote:
>  --- Charles Wilson <cwilson@ece.gatech.edu> wrote: > >
>

>>The problem is, MS .obj format files are NOT compatible with gcc/ld.
>>I'm really surprised you were able to link at all.
>>

> This is news to me. As long as the obj file has no dependency on static
> MS runtime (or other MS static lib), on MS debug heap  or on C++
> references they work, with mingw or with -mno-cygwin option.  The other
> gotcha is struct layout, which can be fixed with -fnative-struct
> option.

Ding!

> The usual problem however is dependency on MS libc[mt].lib

And another ding!

What you're saying is, that *theoretically* you can use a .obj file with
gcc .o's -- but in practice it's rarely possible.  (1) you have to be
careful to use -fnative-struct with your gcc compiliation, (2) only .obj
files that make NO references to ANY runtime functions (open, fopen,
printf, etc) are usable.

That's a lot of restrictions.  Wouldn't it be nice if the gpib IO card
manufacturer released their @#$@!& source, instead of distributing .obj
files?

--Chuck