DirectX Frustrations

I've been programming with Cygwin for some time now, but every time I try to
get something to compile that uses DirectX, I end up giving up after several
hours of frustration. I have looked at the past mailing lists, etc... I have
found a message or two that someone like me posted asking for help. One such
message had a reply to look back to further messages, and go goto the cygwin
website. As far as I can tell, the Cygwin website doesn't say a damned thing
about DirectX, and any site that I do find that tells me how to setup
directX seems very outdated. I am exhausted looking for the answers, so now
I am just going to ask.

Here's my problem: I am working on a game project for school with several
other people. Currently, we are using the visual c compiler, and just using
cygwin as a development environment. (Makes it easier for automated builds,
etc.)

However, I always felt weird using the VisualC compiler, and I always wanted
to use the GCC compiler instead. I have gotten it to the point where
everything compiles, and I fail at linktime.

Here is a log of the GCC builds: http://www.voria.net/darco/geode/02.txt

The version of Cygwin that I am using is fresh off the web. I copied over
ddraw.h and dsound.h from my VisualStudio tools into the /usr/include/w32api
directory, and it compiles fine with them.

I have the CVS Repository available here:
http://cvs.voria.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/mkultra/ If you want to examine the
makefiles or whatnot, you can.

Once again, I am compiling fine. Linktime is where the problems are. I
believe that I am including the right libraries, but I'm not sure. (look at
the build log above to see exactly what's going on)

This is very frustrating, because no matter how much I look I cannot seem to
find any straight answer as to how to get this configuration up and running.
What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,
Rob Quattlebaum
darco@bigfoot.com