RE: Windows login name, USER and HOME env variables..

Hi Ronald!

>  a. Where does Bash get the space from? (the registry key mentioned
>     above, or elsewhere?)
>  b. Idem for CVS - isn't that supposed to use the $HOME variable to
>     find out where my files live (and where it should plant the .ssh
>     dir)?

Easy: Any app that requests the *system* for your user name, will get the
real one.

>  c. Other than logging in under another name, is there a workaround?

Also have a look at your /etc/passwd that was also generated using system
functionality. I am quite not sure whether you may override the system's
user name here or not, since I do not know how the ported Unix apps really
retrieve the user's name.

>  d. Should this be considered a bug?

IMHO no.

Regards,