Re: vfork problems on Win98 -- is there a fix?

I have some more data on my vfork problem ...

The recursive Makefile calls only two programs outside the Cygwin realm --
picc.exe (a compiler) and libr.exe (the associated librarian).

I did a test where I called these two programs from an MS-DOS batch file
using the same command-line arguments as I use in the Makefile, and I looped
it to run continuously. No memory leaks were observed (Win98 machine).

I then rank Win2000's Task Manager while I ran the Makefile on that machine.
Physical Memory was reduced by 22MB over the course of 1 hour, during which
140 libraries were built. After 1 hour (59 minutes to be exact), picc.exe
was unable to write a particular object file, and make terminated
abnormally. During this hour, the shell was invoked by make 140 times, make
was called recursively 140 times, there were 140*50 (number of source files)
= 7,000 calls to picc.exe, and 140 calls to libr.exe.

>From this I conclude that there's a memory leak in either make, vfork (which
I assume is what allows me to invoke the bash shell from inside make), or
the shell itself.

Am I right? And as before, is there a fix?