Re: Setup.exe = ARRRGHGHGH @#$##@ stuborn program

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 "Gerrit P. Haase" <gp@familiehaase.de> wrote:

> Per default, every package that is detected as NOT installed will be
> loaded down (automagically). You need only to 'x' the checkboxes, if
> you like to retrieve the sources, too. I always thought that this is
> obvious?

Not to me it wasn't. When I installed my [now old] slackware 3.5 linux
I marked packages I wanted, and unmarked those I didn't, THAT was obvious.

Ah, so the checkboxes are only for the source files... Good to know!

Thank You!

> I one package (source, binary or both) once was downloaded, it will
> not be downloaded again. It shows up in the setup window only if it is
> not yet installed, but gets not downloaded again.

That is the behavior I expected except I didn't know how to tell it to
skip packages. [clicking on the little icon on the left side allows that]

How ever, the packages I downloaded before the connection failed appeared
to be being downloaded again. [the tar.gz or { bz2 ?} files were in the
[source\contrib or source\latest] directories so I thought that since it
had been interrupted before it could complete it had failed to update some
internal list of instructions or some such... But it now occurs to me that
just maybe the 2nd time through it may have been trying to give me a new
version. (were any of the packages just updated perhaps???)

> >What do I have to do to get setup.exe to stop using the old download
> >list????
>
> Install the whole thing?

Didn't have enough room for that... But fortunately, the above mentioned
mouse intensive <sigh> technique of clicking on the little icon at the left
side of the package name allows me to skip the package.

How ever I now have a working bash, with vim & less so I'm happy enough to
wait till I learn more before I try to make it better ;)

Though I do have two problems.

vim :!command and less !command {as well as less [ v ] sending the file to
vim} all temporarily lock up while my windows trumpet dialer makes an
[sometime unsuccessful] attempt to log in to my ppp account. Which lock up
ends when:

 A) trumpet times out

   or

 B) I go kill trumpet [taskbar icon {close}]

And the other thing is trying to access the clipboard for copy paste
operations failed. Since bash is running in a dosbox windows wants me to
use those stupid mouse button controls, to enable mark then to copy marked
then to paste to cursor position... I wanted to use that to kill a locked
process I did a ps, clicked on mark and marked the pid, clicked on copy,
typed kill 15 [click on paste] but the paste failed... The button stayed
pushed in???  <sigh> Actually I was hoping I'd be able to use the cursor
keys to mark text, and keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste, But I can't
even get the click intensive method to paste to the $prompt <sigh>

I expect these are known problems with win95, and that if there is a fix
it will be in some faq, which I might even find someday... In the mean
time, I'll have to live with it. unless someone on the list wants to give
me a clue???

In any case, thanks for the info Gerrit.