RE: competition for HOME environment variable

If you want your home directory to point somewhere else, I suggest you look
in the /etc/profile script. It's a little shell script run when CygWin is
started, which sets the HOME and USER environment variables.
I edited my own a bit too, to make sure there's no spaces in the name of my
home dir (did a rather sloppy job, actually: just put USER on my surname)

Have fun!

Ronald