C compiler cannot create executables

I am trying to install PostgreSQL and when I run ./configure I get the
error:
$ ./configure
checking host system type... i686-pc-cygwin
checking which template to use... win
checking whether to build with locale support... no
checking whether to build with recode support... no
checking whether to build with multibyte character support... no
checking whether to build with Unicode conversion support... no
checking for default port number... 5432
checking for default soft limit on number of connections... 32
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
cre
e executables.

When I look at config.log, I see:

This file contains any messages produced by compilers while^M
running configure, to aid debugging if configure makes a mistake.^M
^M
configure:629: checking host system type^M
configure:655: checking which template to use^M
configure:818: checking whether to build with locale support^M
configure:847: checking whether to build with recode support^M
configure:877: checking whether to build with multibyte character support^M
configure:929: checking whether to build with Unicode conversion support^M
configure:960: checking for default port number^M
configure:994: checking for default soft limit on number of connections^M
configure:1118: checking for gcc^M
configure:1231: checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works^M
configure:1247: gcc -o conftest    conftest.c  1>&5^M
/usr/bin/ld: unrecognized option `--dll-search-prefix=cyg'^M
/usr/bin/ld: use the --help option for usage information^M
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status^M
configure: failed program was:^M

#line 1242 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"