Re: 1.3.2: Bug fileutil cp -p

> Hello,
>

> I am new to cygwin and not reading the mailing list, so it may be a know
> problem or not ;-).
>
> While trying to install BerkleyDB the following error occured:
>

> cp -fp db_archive /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/bin/db_archive
>
> cp: preserving times for `/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/bin/db_archive': No
such
> file or directory
>
> make: *** [install_utilities] Error 1
>

> db_archive in fact is named "db_archive.exe" and it is copied to the
correct
> place with the
>
> correct extension.
>
> Trying to recompile cp and looking for the error failed, cause after
> compiling I got
>
> a different message "xx and xx2 are the same files" ...
>

> If the extensions of executables are handled by the cygwin-DLL, then you
> should have a look
> at the utime function.

Sorry. This error seems to be a bit more complicated.
If I remove the p flag I got the following message:

cp -f db_archive db_checkpoint /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/bin/db_checkpoint
cp: copying multiple files, but last argument
`/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/bin/db_checkpoint' is not a directory

So perhabs it is a problem with the Makefile? I don't think so - here the
excerpt:

install_utilities:
        @echo "Installing DB utilities: $(bindir) ..."
        @test -d $(bindir) || \
            ($(mkdir) -p $(bindir) && $(chmod) $(dmode) $(bindir))
        @cd $(bindir) && $(rm) -f $(UTIL_PROGS)
        @$(INSTALLER) -f $(UTIL_PROGS) $(bindir)

with
$(INSTALLER) = cp
$(bindir) = /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3/bin
$(UTIL_PROGS) =  db_archive db_checkpoint db_deadlock \
                                 db_dump db_load db_printlog db_recover
db_stat db_upgrade db_verify

I think something is mixed up with the params of the cp command.

HTH

Thomas