stdin, stdout, stderr

Hello,

I'm running Cygwin 1.3.2 on Windows 98.
Recently I've compiled my favourite Unix editor under Cygwin.
I'm really surprised that everything works so well, since Windows 98 is for household use only.
So Cygwin must be great stuff!

Now I wanted to use the shell command facility of the editor for invoking such things as sorting,
or even Perl for the more complex tasks. But the shell command doesn't really work. What happens is
 that I can start all applications but the editor doesn't return from the shell command, as it should, when
the called application terminates. It just keeps waiting for termination of the already terminated application.

This is completely puzzling for me. Because the code of the editor is really easy. It doesn't look at
process ID's nor for a Signal or whatsoever.

It is just the following:
If an application starts running there are automatically the standard streams (stdin, stdout, stderr,...) opened.
If the application terminates, all opened streams are automatically closed.

Indeed the editor looks only at stdin, stdout and stderr of the called application.
If these are closed, the editor decides that the called application has terminated
and returns from the shell command.
This is so easy that it should work under all circumstances, shouldn't it?
This is exactly what's puzzling me, because it fails for Cygwin!

Even if this cannot be solved, any comments, hints, whatsoever are appreciated!
It would be a relief to me, at least to have any idea, why the above (looking at the streams) can fail.

Joerg