Re: id doesn't seem to work properly for multiple users under W2K

At 12:51 PM 7/19/2001, Peter Schröder wrote:
>I've installed cygwin as administrator. Now when I am myself and run the
>bash shell "id -un" returns administrator instead of "ps" with
>predictable results. I did set HOME environment variables correctly so
>at least I am in my own directory. Where does id get its idea as to who
>the current user is? I did notice that /etc/passwd contains entries for
>all manner of accounts, but not mine. What's the right process to fix
>this?

First, look in the email archives for similar issues and try what's
suggested there.  Then, read the documentation at www.cygwin.com for
areas related to your area of interest.  Then, if you're still left
with a question, query the list.  Actually, this is the recipe for
all questions you may have, not just this one.  In this case, your
/etc/passwd file is wrong and that's what's causing your troubles.
See the Cygwin user guide for information on how to create this and
the /etc/groups files.  Specifically, you may want to look at

http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MKPASSWD
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-utils.html#MKGROUP

There are also oodles of similar questions with answers on this topic
in the email archives, if you'd be interested in looking there.  But the
basics you should be able to get from the User's Guide.