Re: Documentation for Windows users

Will,

Yes, you are mostly missing the point. These tools are for people who want
the virtues of the GNU tools and a Unix-like programming and computing
environment and who, for various reasons, must use Windows. Quite apart
from the debate about the virtue of IDE-hosted programming, what you
suggest is just not what Cygwin is about.

I must wonder, what you expect in the way of usability by people "with no
knowledge of Unix systems." Whether you were using Linux or FreeBSD or some
such, you'd face the same learning curve for these tools. One the other
hand, regardless of where you learn them, the knowledge transfers almost
entirely to other environments that host these tools.

All that said, the usual rejoinder applies: If you want it and can write it
and _do_ write it and contribute it, you will have it and lots of other
will have it, too.

Recent postings have examined the kinds of users and their needs and
expectations. Read the postings under the thread ``"shouted down", "shot
down", apologies''.

A GUI for gcc. I shudder.

Randall Schulz