building cygwin with python script

This is brilliant.  Nice cookbook.  Worked out of the box.  Exactly what
is needed, IMO.  The calculated timings at the end are schweet.  I'd
like to suggest to the FAQ maintainer that this replace the section in
the FAQ on "How do I build on NT?".  FAQ maintainer?  If it's OK, I'll
do the changes.  I'd need CVS access since I assume anoncvs can't commit
changes.  Maybe we can put the Python script on the sources.redhat.com
site somewhere?

On a side note, should my new cygwin1.dll be ~5MB instead of ~645KB?  Is
this just a side effect of the current snapshot?

Norman Vine wrote:

>John Wiersba writes:
>
>>If csv is the only/best way, does someone have a cookbook which will
>>allow me to setup a test environment,
>>

>The way I do this < and I am sure it is not the best but it works for me >
>is to first create a directory to work in I'll call it $CYGWIN_SRC
>
>place this shell script in that directory
>
>======= cut here =======
>#! /bin/sh
>echo "(Logging in to anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com)"
>echo "Checking out Cygwin"
>echo "CVS password: anoncvs"
>export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.cygnus.com:/cvs/src
>cvs login
>cvs -z3 checkout winsup 2>&1 | tee cvs_co.log
>./MakeCygwin.py
>====== cut here =====
>
>and place this python script in this same directory
>http://home.cape.com/nhv/files/cygwin/MakeCygwin.py
>
>>refresh the source, build everything,
>>

>execute the above shell script and a tarball of the
>Cygwin CVS files will be placed in this same directory
>also under this directory you will have a ./usr directory
>containing the files in this tarball
>
>>make a change, test it out, submit a patch --
>>

>I now just install this tarball by
>% cd /
>% tar -xzvf PATH_TO_FRESH_TAR_BALL
>
>then closing all applications using the Cygwin DLL
>and copying the new cygwin1.dll from $CYGWIN_SRC / usr / bin /
>to $CYG_DRIVE / bin using a WIN32 tool < explorer, copy ect >
>
>start using your new Cygwin
>
>>all while keeping a working cygwin
>>environment built off of setup.exe's download?
>>

>If for some reason I do not want to keep this version of Cygwin
>I either reinstall an earlier version that I have made using the same
>techniques.  OR use the cygwin setup.exe program to reinstall
>the latest official Cygwin distribution.
>
>This method assumes that you have installed Python
>
>FWIW
>It normally takes less then 20 minutes for me to update and
>rebuild Cygwin using this method on a PIII 733 over a dialup.
>It will take longer the first time in that CVS has to get all the
>files initially.
>
>I am sure there are better ways to do this
>but until I discover them this works for me :-))
>
>Comments and/or  Suggestions on how to do this solicited.
>
>Cheers
>
>Norman Vine
>

>--

Jason Dufair - jase@dufair.org
http://www.dufair.org/
"Being in politics is like being a football coach.
You have to be smart enough to understand the game,
and dumb enough to think it's important."
-- Eugene McCarthy