From: Corinna Vinschen [mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 31, 2001 7:57 AM
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Default user accounts ?

On Thu, May 31, 2001 at 09:50:08AM -0400, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
wrote:
> At 07:45 AM 5/31/2001, piotr cygwin wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I've just installed Cygwin on WinNT workstation (but with FAT filesytems)
with the automatic "setup.exe" installer.

> >The user account that has been created (and which is the default account
when I launch bash) is "Administrator". Cygwin has not used at all my NT
username (at least it is not present in /etc/passwd). So:

> >- Is it normal ?
>

> Yes, it a Windowsism.  We're stuck with it.

????????????????????????????????????????????

> >- Is there a specific procedure to create an account
> >  related to an NT account, or should I just do it
> >  manually by adding an entry in /etc/passwd, with
> >  the same username ?
> >

> Just change "Administrator" to your user name in /etc/passwd.

Gack!!! No, please don't do that. If you actually have another
user account which you want to use, add it to /etc/passwd.

The reason it's not in /etc/passwd now is either the account
didn't exist when `mkpasswd' has been called by setup or
your account is not a local account but a domain account.

Setup just calls `mkpasswd -l' to create a default passwd
file with the existing local accounts. To add domain accounts
you'll have to call `mkpasswd -d <domain>' and add the relevant
output to /etc/passwd. The same for /etc/group and the `mkgroup'
command.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.