Re: The death of the //x use in cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I wanted to give a heads up to everyone that the //c method
> for accessing drives will finally be removed in Cygwin 1.3.3.
> We've been threatening to do this for more than a year and
> the time has finally come.

...snip..

> If this is too cumbersome, you can change /cygdrive to whatever
> you want.  Many people seem to like to have the drives accessible
> as a directory so that c: == /c .  The easiest way to default to
> this behavior is to do this:
>
> mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /
>
> Or conversely, if you think that /cygdrive is too short and too
> hard to remember, you could also do something like:
>
> mount -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /bobs-disk-devices
>
> Then, you can access drives as:
>
> ls /bobs-disk-devices/c/foo
>
> Note that the default "mount mode" for these devices remains as "text
> mounts".  If you want to change the mount mode to be "binmode', you
> can do this:
>
> mount -b -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /

however even if you do

mount -f -b -s --change-cygdrive-prefix /cygdrive

to try and change from user level to global level

mount still reports ( after logging out and back in again and inetd not
running prior to logout )

d: on /cygdrive/d type user (binmode,noumount)
k: on /cygdrive/k type user (binmode,noumount)
l: on /cygdrive/l type user (binmode,noumount)
t: on /cygdrive/t type user (binmode,noumount)

Keep up the good work.

TVM

Don Sharp