Re: -mno-cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:22:11PM -0500, Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:

> >> Somehow I doubt it.  To rephrase the question:
> >>
> >> "How come when I use the option to turn off the UNIX emulation support
> >> I can't use UNIX features."
> >>
> >> IMO, -mno-cygwin makes more sense than -mmingw.  Maybe a -mno-unix would
> >> be clearer, though.
> >>

> >As you said it's YO and MO is that -mcygwin, -mcrtdll and -mmsvcrt makes
> >even more sense.
>
> Except what's a "msvcrt" or a "crtdll"?  They're just strings of characters.
>
> Expecting people to know about these DLLs or any package name other than
> cygwin or (maybe) unix seems like it would still be subject to confusion.

I expect that know one knows anything except perhaps the creator and
that can be said to be questionable?! ;^)  Why doesn't -mno-cygwin mean
that no runtime is supplied at all and I have to supply my own?  As you
can see "no-cygwin" is "just a string of characters".  It has no more
meaning than msvcrt or crtdll and is in fact less descriptive.

Earnie.