Install&GCC use problem

I'm trying to begin using cygwin and I can't figure out how to use GCC
under cygwin.

I did the following:

1.  downloaded DLL 1.1.8 everything except source from ftp.nas.nasa..gov
2.  ran setup.exe (version 2.29), choosing 'text' default file type and
install for 'all', root d:\modlsoft\cygwin
3.  started cygwin using desktop icon...cygwin.bat opened a dos window
4.  opened a dos command prompt window.
4b. changed directory to a directory containing a simple source pgm
named,Hello.cpp, containing the following code:

//: C02:Hello.cpp
// From Thinking in C++, 2nd Edition
// Available at http://www.BruceEckel.com
// (c) Bruce Eckel 2000
// Copyright notice in Copyright.txt
// Saying Hello with C++
#include <iostream> // Stream declarations
using namespace std;

int main() {
  cout << "Hello, World! I am "
       << 8 << " Today!" << endl;
} ///:~

4c.  entered the command:  gcc Hello.cpp  -o hello.exe
4d.  received message "Bad command or file name"

5.  Reviewed user guide, FAQ and recent list archives to try to figure
out my problem.

6.  Ran cygcheck -s -v -r  , but couldn't figure out how to copy the
result from the cygwin window (I don't know UNIX) or I would have pasted
it here.

I'm operating under Win95 OSR2

Any suggestions to help me get going?

Thanks,