Re: Does "syslogd" work?

>I thought I could use the syslogd daemon to get some idea of what
>ssmtp is
>doing, but when I type "syslogd&" at the bash prompt, the command
>starts and
>exits immediately!

    Have you tried strace to see exactly what ssmtp is doing? How
about some kind of sniffer, like WinDump?

    Are you talking to an Exchange server? (You mentioned MS...) If
so, do they have POP3 enabled?

    Can you telnet to the server on port 110 and see what you get?
And again on port 25? (If either connects just type "help" to verify
the connection and then "quit" to exit.)

    There's a lot of things that could be happening here, and in my
experience syslog/event logs are the worst place to look to see what
is happening. strace is great, but might be difficult to interpret
and outputs a lot of data. It will tell you if ssmtp can't find a
config file or something, or can't resolve the address, and all sorts
of "underneath" things you generally can't see.
    Verifying connectivity to the services is easiest with telnet.
Packet sniffing might not really tell you anything, but it will let
you know if data is coming back from the server.

    Scott